Trifle Pudding with Mango and Raspberry




I have always loved creating colourful dishes in the kitchen. It makes me all excited like a kid  all set with her box of crayons to paint the world. I found this amazing trifle bowl on urban dazzle- a site I always check out for baking and serving ware. I have  already bought a cake stand from this site and I love the brand Borgonovo for their fine glass ware. Now having bought a trifle bowl it would be unjust if i did not inaugurate it. It so happened that my friends from the institute were visiting Bangalore on a weekend I was home. So I decided this was the apt occasion for initiating the trifle bowl. I also happen to love mangoes and  have a list of mango based recipes every year when mangoes come into the market. This king of fruits deserves a royal treatment and what more could do justice to the mangoes like a trifle pudding. So I went ahead and made this dessert. It has cake, mangoes, cream, cherry flavoured jelly and frozen raspberries not to forget loads of liquor :)
It tastes yummier than it looks and the best part about this dessert is that you can toss around a mix and match of this and that and it looks crazily happy and yummy. I already have five other combinations in mind that I plan to try in our forthcoming gatherings. And  please don't think I am endorsing  the trifle bowl but it also comes in handy for pastas, salads and many other desserts so it's quite handy and resourceful to your kitchen so those of you don't have this bowl go ahead and get one. For others without a trifle bowl you can layer your dessert in bowls or glasses or even a shallow glass dish. Not having a bowl should not stop you from trying this recipe and my gloating over the bowl should definitely not turn you down :) I am too happy today and deeply in love with my bowl pardon me for the joy fever.

Ingredients for Trifle Pudding with Mango and Raspberry

Butter cake/Pound cake/Sponge cake - 2 kg ( I baked mine follow this recipe for baking your own cake http://ooonuready.blogspot.in/2012/05/rainbow-cake.html ) You could use ready made cake too.
Mango- 4 large ones cubed
 Jelly ( I used cherry  flavour)-  400 gm
Whipped Cream- 400 ml
Raspberry- 100g
Brandy- 200ml
 
 
Directions
 
Cut the cake into small pieces and layer the bottom of the bowl with  these pieces. Add some brandy to wet the cake so that they will be  moist. You can add mango juice instead of liquor if you wish to avoid the brandy. Now add the mangoes and create the next layer. Always arrange the cake and mangoes in such a way that a layer is visible from outside the bowl .
 
 
 Add the whipped cream on top of the mangoes and that will be your third layer. Now add the jelly followed by another layer of mangoes, cake and whipped cream.
 
Top the dessert with raspberries and mangoes. Refrigerate the dessert for four hours. It could also be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated overnight. This would make the dessert moist. Always wet the cake with juice or alcohol after each layer. While serving scoop in from the bottom so that you get a portion of every layer. The serving need not look neatly stacked it would look like collage of colours on your plate but that's how its meant to me. I could not get a snap of the dessert on plate because my guests did not give me the time for a click and snatched their plates as soon as dessert was served. But my hubby and I enjoyed creating this dessert than eating it. I guess we will have to make it once again just for ourselves to enjoy the flavours. This dessert is supposedly sufficient for 14 people but we were just 7 and the dessert bowl was empty in 15 minutes so I doubt if the reviews were right about the quantity part :)

Labels: