Spaghetti with chicken in white sauce




I recently saw my sis update a post on pasta with chicken in Alfredo sauce. I had an old pack of spaghetti and could not find an opportunity to use it. As my vacation was ending and I was not gonna be home for long I decided I should make something and finish the spaghetti so I decided to use the left over chicken and vodka and spaghetti for this purpose. Vodka was just out of my fancy to add some liquor to the dish. It's optional. My neighbours loved it so did my love. I guess the capsicum added the flavour I had in mind, I would have loved to toss in few mushrooms but since I had just 3 days left I thought of using up stuff I had. I was in no mood to put this recipe as it took me to my last days home before I came down to my institute but today I thought I should get brave and relive those days. I don't if it's true for you guys but I often evoke nostalgic moments through cooking. Every dish I make has a memory associated with it and chronicling it here is a special feeling. I dont see many followers on this blog compared to the other one I have and I wonder if its coz people dont cook anymore. But I'll continue coz I love it.

Ingredients for Spaghetti with chicken in white sauce

Onion- 1
Garlic- 2-4 pods
Chicken- 250 gm shredded
Capsicum- 100 gm sliced
Cheese cubes- 25 gm
White flour- 2 tbsp
Milk- 100 ml
Salt- to taste
Pepper powder- 1 tsp
Vodka- 50 ml
Butter- 25 gm

Directions

Boil the spaghetti and set it aside. In a pan heat the butter and saute the sliced onion and minced garlic. When they are brown add the flour and milk and stir well to form the white sauce. Add the cheese cubes or grated cheese into the sauce. Now add the vodka and bring the sauce to boil. Add the capsicum and chicken ( mushrooms too if you like them) to the sauce and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Add the salt and pepper at this point.



Once the capsicum and chicken is cooked at the spaghetti and stir for 5 minutes. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Finally serve with grated cheese and a dash of pepper on the top. Those who like it rich in calories can also add fresh cream instead of milk for the white sauce. I personally like adding wine to pastas and this was the first time I tried vodka. Red or white wine can be a better substitute.

Labels: ,