Butter Chicken- Sanjeev Kapoor style



I was nine when I first watched Sanjeev Kapoor whip up a Russian salad. I had bought a ledger before the next episode and ever since I have been following his recipes. The ledgers are replaced by online recipes but Sanjeev Kapoor still remains the same. More than his recipes I loved his smile and they way he explained stuff and perhaps that's how I learned hindi now that I think of it. This is a recipe of his butter chicken that I found online some time back. I experimented it on last Valentine's day and my hubby dear came rushing from office and left immediately for some urgent assignment. He hardly tasted it that day but the next morning we had a Post valentine breakfast and he just loved the butter chicken with naan. He recently asked me to make it again when I was home on a weekend and this time we had guests too. We had nothing left by the end of our lunch. My friend has asked me to post this recipe twice so here it goes.

Ingredients for Butter Chicken Marination- 1 step



Chicken- 500 gm ( with or without bones)
Minced garlic- 2 tsp
Lemon juice- 2 tsp
Salt- to taste



Marinate chicken with these ingredients and set aside for half an hour.

For Marination- 2 step

Yogurt- 1 cup
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Garam masala- 1 tsp

Marinate the chicken with these and set aside for 4 hours. It can be refrigerated throughout the 4 hours.


For gravy

Tomato puree- 200ml
Cream- 3 tsp
Green chillies- 3 chopped
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Kasuri Methi - 2 tsp
Garam masala- a pinch
Honey/sugar- 2 tsp

Heat oil in a kadai and shallow fry the marinated chicken till cooked an alternative could also be grilling the chicken in oven.



In another pan add the ginger garlic paste and once sauted add the green chillies. Into this add the tomato puree and the masala powder.


Add the chicken and cook for few minutes. Heat the kasuri methi and powder it with your fingers and add it over the gravy. Add some cream and cook the chicken for some time. Before serving add the honey and garnish the chicken with cream.






Labels: ,