Brinjal with dry fish



My dad had a Srilankan friend in Kuwait. This recipe is a modified version of something I tasted at their home. Very soon this recipe conquered our kitchens and now it has conquered my hubby. I don't remember the name of this recipe and I am sure it's changed versions over the year and I can no longer remember the flavour I savoured years ago on that evening at Nelson uncle's home. Thanks Jayanthi aunt for introducing me to this recipe. I have passed on this recipe to many and till date never came across someone who has tasted this combo. People often twitch their eyebrows at the association of brinjals and dry fish. We have such weird combos back home and often we mix vegetables with meat and fish. So here's a favourite from my kitchen. And to all those out there who hate brinjals you should listen to my hubby's testimony after he tasted this.




Ingredients for Brinjal with dry fish


Brinjals- 2 large chopped finely
Dry fish ( Anchovies) - 100 gm
Onions- 2 chopped
Ginger- 50 gms sliced
Garlic- 50 gms
Curry leaves- optional
Tomatoes- 5-6 large ones chopped
Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
Chilli powder- 2 tsp
Fenugreek powder- 1/4 tsp
Oil- 1/2 cup
Tamarind- size of a ping pong ball



Directions

Marinate chopped brinjal with salt, turmeric and chilli powder. Leave it aside for 30 minutes.


Heat oil in a pan and now fry the sliced ginger and garlic till they turn golden brown.

Keep these aside. Fry the dry fish in the same oil and set this aside too.

Now fry the marinated brinjals. Drain these on a napkin and keep aside.


In a pan heat oil. Saute the curryleaves, onions, followed by tomatoes add salt and when the tomatoes are mashed and form a sauce add the turmeric, chilly and fenugreek powder.

Into this gravy add the fried ginger and garlic followed by brinjals stir them for five minutes and now add the dry fish. Add the tamarind extract and let the curry simmer for 15 minutes. If you find it too tangy you can add a spoon of sugar.




Labels: ,