Stuffed Brinjals



I had stuffed brinjals at my aunt's convent sometime back. It was an Italian dish and she told me how to prepare it. I could not venture into them coz my hubby hates brinjals. So, I decided to experiment them when my mom came down. I finally found guinea pigs in mom and my sister. And guess what? my hubby surprised me by tasting these stuffed brinjals. It's very simple to experiment and tasty too.

Ingredients for Stuffed brinjals

Small brinjals- 8
Onion- 3 chopped
Garlic- 10-15 pods minced
Tomatoes- 6 chopped
Olive Oil- 4 tsp
Oregano- 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Mozarella cheese- 100 gm



Directions

Wash the brinjals and slit them into halves. Scoop the inside such that the base is not too thin.


Chop the scooped parts. In a pan heat the olive oil and saute onion and scooped brinjals. When they are half cooked add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt.
Cook till it forms a thick gravy. Add a dash of oregano and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile sprinkle some salt on the cut halves of brinjals set in a plate.

Fill in the fllings. Cook the brinjal shells in a pan greased with oil. Cook in slow fire as we intend to cook the brinjal's covering. Since the fillings are already cooked , stop cooking when you find the brinjal shells well cooked. You can also grill if you prefer it that way. I did both.
I cooked on slow fire for 20 minutes and then grilled in microwave oven for 5 minutes sprinkle cheese before serving so that it melts on the topping.

If you have some more filling left you can make a gravy and serve the shells in them. I used mine for sandwiches.

Labels: