Capsicum Achar





Sunoj, my husband has been craving for capsicum pickle recently. His mom used to make them in his childhood and he had not tasted it recently. It was totally new an idea to me so I asked my mom in law. She told me it was a long time ago affair and it was just like any other pickles. So I went ahead and tried this out and guess what it does taste good. My hubby hates capsicum otherwise but pickles- that's one way I can get him eat any vegetable so I guess I will end up making pickle out of every vegetable.

Recipe for Capsicum achar

Capsicums- 2 kg chopped
Mustard seeds- 50gm
Jeera powder- 50 gm
Fenugreek seeds powdered- 1 tsp
Chilly powder- 200 gm
Kashmiri chilly powder ( for colour) - 100 gm
Gingely oil - 1/4 litre
Salt- to taste
Vinegar- 200 ml
Water- 2 cups

Directions

Chop the capsicums. In a grinder grind mustard seeds, jeera powder, chilly powders and fenugreek seeds.


In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutters add the ground powders. Once the powders are mixed well add the capsicum followed by water. Now add salt and vinegar to this mixture and let it simmer for 15 minutes. See that the oil stands on the top of the pickle. Heat oil and pour on top of the pickle when its transfered to bottles. This ensures that they stay for long. It might taste bitter initially because of mustard and fenugreek powders. The vinegar and salt will neutralise this in the long run. Hope you all love this.


Labels: